Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blog #2

It is really hard for me to look at both sides of the healthcare issue because I have always been insured and I have not had to pay my own medical bills. Both of my parents were able to receive family insurance through their jobs. At certain times, we would go months without going to the doctor. But, when I was a junior in high school I started having chest pains that were caused by heart conditions and I went to the doctor about twice a month for six months. Just to give you an idea, I had a checkup appointment in March and the clinic didn’t send the bill to our insurance provider in time. My parents got a statement today that said the insurance did not cover over $3000 of the appointment, because it was late. Luckily, since it was the clinics fault they won’t have to pay it, but I know that without insurance, my parents would not have been able to afford my medical expenses.

I believe that everybody should be able to receive quality healthcare.  I’m really not sure what the best way would be, but I really think that opening more clinics with sliding-scale fees is a good idea. I had actually never heard of a clinic that let you pay based on your income until I read Jeri’s blog. I looked up sliding-scale clinics, and I found several around Houston where the prices ranged from 0-150. I also found a website that has a list of clinics for the uninsured or underinsured. In the area that I live in, there are not clinics like this. For people without insurance, the only place to go for medical care is to the emergency room. Sometimes, they go for issues that could be resolved in a clinic but because they had to go to the ER, it may make it more expensive for people that do have insurance.

As for long-term illnesses that may require long hospital stays and other types of medical attention, I am not sure what the best way to provide healthcare would be. But I do not feel like anyone should have to suffer because they don’t have access to the care they need.

The current state of health care in the United States is okay for those with insurance. Although the bills can get a little bit expensive, it is better than having to cover the whole bill. There are millions of people without insurance that are not getting the care they need. I just continue to hope, that someday soon there will be a good solution to the health care situation.


(http://www.sjmctx.com/ourservices_clinics.htm) Houston Clinics
(http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf?_function=list&state=tx) Clinics for the uninsured or underinsured

5 comments:

  1. Dear Meghan,
    I found your blog to be very informative. I too had never heard of sliding-scale clinics but after reading your blog I find it to be a wonderful idea for families and individuals who are underinsured or have no health insurance at all to receive medical care. I think that it’s great that these sliding-scale clinics exist because healthcare that is based on your income makes it affordable for everyone. Now if there were only sliding-scale clinics accessible to everyone. Hopefully this idea will grow and expand and new ideas on providing affordable healthcare will blossom. Thank you for sharing your information and insights with me.
    Brittany LeBron

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really crazy about how the clinic didn't send out your bill in time. I work for a clinic and I have to do that on a daily basis so that sounds really familiar to me. Looks like someone was slacking on their job that day... But good thing the clinic took responsibility for it. They are not always that generous.

    Carla Keeley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,
    Your parents getting that bill for $3000, was that for one clinic visit with out diagnostic testing? That is extremely high. I wonder how much your insurance would have been required to pay if they had received the bill in time. According to our textbook, New Dimensions in Women's Health, uninsured patients pay more than insured patients (2010). Insurance companies basically have deals with their in-network doctors and hospitals to pay only percentages of the cost they bill. You were lucky to not have to pay the bill due to the clinic error.
    Kerri

    Alexander, L. L., LaRosa, J. H., Bader, H., Garfield, S., & Alexander, W. J. (2010). New Dimensions in Women's Health. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Meghan
    In my opinion the best solution to health care access for uninsured and under insured is through government sponsored health care insurance( universal health care). I have insurance through my employer, however, the deduct able and co payment for special service is too expensive. I have also a chest pain and i have to see a cardiologist. for a simple stress test my portion of payment is too high.i really do not know how much i will pay for further procedures. i want private insurance and the government compute to provide health care to consumers. that way if not all,but most people can have basic service for their health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Namaste Megan,

    I am glad to hear that you were able to receive proper medical attention.Women are less likely to obtain appropriate medical care after a heart attack than men, and only 27% of women are involved in heart-related research.I feel since more women are affected by heart disease than men that they should have women participate in more of these projects.

    I for the past 1 and half I was placed in the uninsured label because I was not longer attending college, due to medical reasons.In early July I had a really bad muscle spasm, and pitched nerve that cause my leg to go numb; My right foot to turn completely inward. I was home alone when this happen and had to call the ambulance. When I got there they notified me after X-rays and ultrasounds, that it cause multiple muscles in my leg and foot to be pulled. I am going somewhere with this,lol.
    I spent approximately 3 hours in the emergency room, I was only seen by the doctor twice, one to squeeze on my leg and ask me questions the other to tell me what happened. This is causing me close to $2,000 in medical fees, the highest bill is from the doctor who did nothing. They gave me crutches and a prescription and sent me home.

    I think that there should be some emergency health care plan for college students who are taken out of school for medical reasons. When a college student graduates, they are only given 2 weeks before they are cut off from their parents health care plan. that is just not enough time for anyone to find employment, and even then the companies insurance does not kick in until 30-90 days of employment. Something should be done about American health insurance companies.

    Sorry from ranting and I enjoyed your post

    Until next time....Peace, Love, and Happiness from Kitara

    ReplyDelete