Thursday, September 16, 2010

I chose to take the Preventative Practices Self-Assessment. Overall, I did pretty well because I only answered no to two of the questions.

The two questions that I answered no to were about getting enough sleep and eating appropriate servings of healthful foods. I know that right now I am not getting enough sleep. I stay up late and wake up early so that I can do things like exercise, homework, and errands. I tease my boyfriend all of the time and tell him that I can’t wait to graduate college so that I won’t have any homework and I can go to bed at 6:30. With the diet, I know that I should eat a few more fruits and a lot more vegetables. I love fresh fruit, but it seems like it goes bad so fast that I hardly ever want to buy it.

Many of the questions have nothing to do with me, like the questions about alcohol, and tobacco. I do not drink at all nor do I smoke.

Some of the practices that I already implement are the exercise, stress reducing methods, routine preventive care, and conflict resolution without violence.

I think that I learned most of my healthy practices from my parents. They are both physically fit and eat pretty healthy. They have also encouraged me not to drink, smoke, or engage in other risky behaviors. But I think what really helped was that they were up front with me from a young age so I never had to change my ways, it was already my lifestyle. I think that it really helps when the people around you practice healthy behaviors, because you learn from them. And let’s just face it. If someone is eating some really tasty, unhealthy foods right in front of you, it gets pretty hard to resist (especially dessert).

Meghan McGehee

3 comments:

  1. I also decided to do the Preventative Practice Self Assessment. I did pretty well on it myself. I, like you, only answered no to two of them. Mine were if I get enough sleep and if I have a method of managing my stress. I noticed that you didn't mention that you answered no to that one. What do you do to manage your stress, if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla,
    Mainly I just hang out with my family and boyfriend. They are pretty good at keeping me calm. When I start getting stressed, I usually take a few deep breaths and if it is something like homework, I will walk away for a few minutes, get re-focused and try again. I am definitely one of those people that can get stressed very easily, so I have to really work at it. I have realized that time management was a big part of my stress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghan,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog and I can tell you have a sense of humor and some things in common with me. I also get very little sleep and everyday that goes by that I knew it would be another short night, I convince myself that it's ok and that I will catch up someday and I am just sacrificing in a positive way. I decided to research a little on the sleep issue and found an interesting article talking about what is the recommended # of hrs of sleep, myths, and life expectancy and how they relate. Check it out, it's good food for thought and for me a little relieving to know that the myth of 8 hours iks just that and my 6 is just fine! http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2002/02_08_Kripke.html
    ~~Heather Noe

    ReplyDelete