Friday, November 5, 2010

Blog 10


I think that there are many factors that can influence women to adopt healthier lifestyles and preventative behaviors.

One very important factor is having a safe place to exercise. Sometimes people don’t want to pay gym fees, so having a good outdoor area to walk, run, and ride bikes is important. Women also need to be able to buy healthy foods to maintain a proper diet so it is important to have a nice grocery store around. They also need access to information and health care. I think that a lot of good information can be found on the internet, but since not all of it is reliable, women need to learn which sites to trust. Speaking to a doctor about nutrition and exercise can also be very helpful. Overall, access is important.

I also think that it helps to have a support group. I know women that have joined gyms together and gone to Zumba and water aerobics courses. I feel that women can really encourage each other and help each other get motivated. I know that when I am not motivated to work out, I need someone to give me the extra push. Support groups can also help with other things, like trying to quit smoking. 

For preventative behaviors, I think that having a newsletter sent through email is a good way to get information out. A lot of people don’t want to go to a class or clinic to learn about the behaviors, but the internet is a great way to get information to a lot of people. With the internet, people can read the information and watch videos that explain the disease and the behaviors used to prevent it. For women that would rather have face-to-face meetings, I think that classes where flyers and power points are used can be very effective.

Meghan McGehee

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan,

    It's very true that many women do not have the financial means to join a gym or exercise class, so a safe, free place to exercise is important. I know from my own experience, that trying to keep up an exercise regimen on my own is difficult, so having an support group is important for many women. I also think our busy lifestyles today are a hindrance to keeping up an exercise routine. Full time jobs, school, children's activities, paying attention to spouses and extended families - women today have a lot on their plates! I think it's important to reassure women that it's OK to make a little time for themselves, to work on being healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that all woment need a safe place to exercise. It really helped me out to have a friend there to exercise with me as well. It was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete