For the time being, I am choosing to be childless.
One of the reasons that I want to wait to have a baby is because I really want to make sure that I am going to marry the right person. My boyfriend and I have been dating for a little bit over a year and a half, but I definitely would not want a child. We have always lived in the same town, but next semester when I move to TWU, we will have to see if we can make a long distance relationship work. If we had a kid, it would add more stress to our lives on top of being full-time students and working. If it didn’t work, I wouldn’t want the chance of going through a messy breakup or divorce and having to figure out custody. I would like to marry someone and wait 2 or 3 years to have a child to make sure that we are compatible.
I really want to finish school before I have a kid. I have a hard time being a full-time student and I know that I couldn’t handle going to school and trying to raise a kid.
It is also important for me to have a job that can provide health insurance for my child. I want to be able to financially support my child. If my child had any health issues, I would want to get them taken care of and not have to put off their medical needs because of money problems.
One day, I would really like to have children. I would like to have a big family. Both of my parents come from big families so I have plenty of aunts, uncles, and cousins. I love being around all of them and listening to them tell stories about growing up with all of their siblings. Although plenty of women can handle school, work, and kids (and I have so much respect for them), I know that I couldn’t. There is no way that I could raise a child when I don’t even have my life figured out yet. I want to be able to give my child the life that they deserve.
Meghan McGehee
Meghan,
ReplyDeleteI like your blog and I can say that it definitly is how I feel as well. I am only 21 and the idea of having a child right now scares me to death. I don't want a child until I have all my school done, a career underway and a husband for a couple years. My boyfriend and I talk about marraige someday but we both don't want a kid until we're around 30. I think that the fact that our society is growing with more and more women choosing to have careers and live independent, single lives is great. As long as that's their choice. In the past, women were kind of looked at as just a homemaker and expected to not do much other than have kids and raise them. I think today we, as women, are really lucky to have the options we do.
-Sarah Petersen
Dear Meghan
ReplyDeleteI think you have a smart decision for your future. in today's world being a single mother or a mother who do not have enough to provide for her kids future is a challenge. parents are morally and financially obligated to raise their kids. Childrens raised in intact family and resourceful environment have a great chance to succeed in their future than childes raised in broken family and financially struggled house hold.
Meghan-
ReplyDeleteI am in the same boat as you with regards to children. I think you are making a very smart decision to wait for children until you are at a point in your life where you can devote your time to them a well as provide financially. I work full time and go to school. Add in all of the other things I am involved in and there is sometimes not enough time for sleep. I know there is no way I could manage a child. They say if you wait for the right time to have a child, you'll never have one. BUT I know that if there was ever a wrong time, this would be it! Good luck finishing school and moving.