Friday, October 8, 2010

Prenatal testing

In my opinion, prenatal testing is very important and should be routine for all pregnant women, but to what extent I’m not sure. 

I think that many tests are beneficial for the health of the baby and the future mom. Routine checkups for blood pressure, blood sugar, urine tests, and ultrasounds seem to be a few tests that would be important. Through these tests you can test for Rh factor, iron levels, STD’s, Toxoplasmosis, glucose levels, bladder and kidney infections, and dehydration. Ultrasounds can check the growth of the baby, the heartbeat, neural tube defects and other things. These tests will most likely not harm the baby or the mom. 

Other tests, such as amniocentesis, and cordocentesis should be a personal choice. But, women who are in the high risk category should consider getting these tests done.

The most important thing to me is the health of the baby and the mom. Tests that are not harmful should be routine and any other tests that the doctor does not feel the mom needs, should be a choice made by the parents. Sometimes the mom may be uncomfortable with a test, but if the doctor feels that it is important, I believe that the mom should seriously consider it.   

Meghan McGehee

American Pregnancy Association. Prenatal testing. Retrieved from http://www.americanpregnancy.org/prenataltesting/amniocentesis.html

2 comments:

  1. Meghan,

    I agree with you on that all mothers should go in for regular testing when they're pregnant. My thoughts are, why not be on the safe side and make sure everything is going well during an important time in your life?

    Carla Keeley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree because there could be so many complications or no complications at all. It is best to double check with numerous check ups for mothers who are pregnant. And to make sure the mother is ok as well.

    ReplyDelete