Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blog #7

I do not agree with the statement that having an STD means a person is immoral, promiscuous, or is of low social status. 

I would say that sometimes people do get STD’s because of promiscuous behavior. But, that is not always the case. I know a woman that got Chlamydia from her husband. The man was cheating on her with a few women when he would go away for work. She had no idea, but when she found out she left him. Years later, when she was trying to have a baby, she could never get pregnant and her doctor told her that it seemed that Chlamydia was the reason. I’m not positive, but I think that it had damaged her Fallopian tubes. I’m sure it was emotionally traumatizing enough that her husband had an affair, but then she couldn’t become a mother because of it.  She did not contract an STD because SHE was promiscuous; she contracted it because her husband was. 

When I was in high school, I had an acquaintance that had Herpes. She was dating a guy and didn’t mention her STD to him and they were sexually active. I don’t know if he got it from her, but I think that it was wrong that she didn’t tell him. 

It seems like a lot of people contract STD’s due to dishonesty of their partner. I think that in any new relationship, past sexual relationships should be talked about. I also feel that both partners should be tested for STD’s when they plan to become sexually active. It’s not fair for someone who thinks that their partner is STD-free to contract one. STD’s can cause serious health problems, as well as hurting emotionally. 

Meghan McGehee

5 comments:

  1. Meghan-
    That is so scary to think that your friend could not even trust her husband. That is one person in this world you should be able to trust with (literally) your life. Your other friend not telling the person she was sexually active with about her STD is exactly why we should ALWAYS protect ourselves. Do we every truly know the people we sleep with? People only tell you what they want you to know. Having a STD is (I think) embarrassing and people do not want to admit that. Contraceptives should be the rule not the exception in this day and age.
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan,
    That is sad about your friend. Unfortunately for many women that is how they contract and STD not from being promiscuous. In my blog I talked about one of the articles fromt the supplemental readings and women were getting HIV and they had never had sex with anyone other than their husband so like your friend the men were going out and cheating and then bringing home diseases. Having and STD Im sure can be a scray thing but it is always best to be honest with the person that you are with because that is absolutely wrong the keep something so important from someone!
    Melissa V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,

    I also wrote about this topic. I knew someone who contracted genital herpes from her husband and found out after 3 years of being married. He had not shown any signs and when she had an outbreak she was devastated. Because having an STD is socially unacceptable and considered dirty, people fear telling their partners in lue of them telling everyone or not accepting them. It is a vicious cycle where people make it socially unacceptable to have one, therefore those who have dont tell their partners, therefore it spreads. The story of the woman who contracted an STD from her cheating husband is so common too! In my blog I talk about no one being safe, and here is a prime example.

    Sara Abbasi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you! It is a scary world out there, especially on who you can trust to be intimate with. I am lucky to have made it into my young adult years and married for 14 years without any STDs. I did not consider myself promiscuous, or did I do drugs, or did I come from a low social status. I did have unprotected pre-marital sex as do majority of the population today! When I was growing up, HIV/AIDS was just starting to scare people. In one of my classes I remember an instructor saying to use precautions, and act is if everyone you come in contact with has HIV. I wish the media would start reinforcing this message about safe-sex. Besides if you feel uncomfortable about asking someone about their sexual life or safe sex then you shouldn’t feel comfortable enough to have sex! Anyone anywhere is at risk for STDs.
    Great post!
    Beth Stauffer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meghan,
    Wow, what terrible situations you know about! I, too, know of a few similar cheating instances where an STI was involved. Very sad and hurtful. I completely agree with what you said about how having an STD doesn't necessarily mean a person is immoral or promiscuous. Often times the person is STD positive because they are a victim of circumstance. It does seem like society tends to question the morality and promiscuity of a person, especially females, if she admits to an STD rather than consider an alternate scenario. People engaging in sexual activity should be honest about their health. We don't need recounts of your experiences but a green light on your health and common sense with protection etc would seem to suffice. Great Post!~Heather Noe

    ReplyDelete