Friday, November 19, 2010

Blog #12


I think that it is very important for the stigma and shame around mental illness to disappear. By reading our power point, I realized that one half of people will experience a mental illness at some point. I think this is a statistic that should be shown more often so that people suffering from mental illnesses will realize how many people actually will have one. It would also point out to people that look at mental illness negatively that so many people suffer from mental illness and that it is not fair to assume that they would be thieves, substance abusers etc. 

People that suffer from mental illness should not feel ashamed of their condition. There are a lot of factors that can play into it such as trauma, daily stress, deaths, and many more. People with a mental illness need to feel support from their family and friends to receive treatment to help them feel better. Family and friends also need to remember to be patient. I think that this would help the patient because they wouldn’t feel so ashamed of their condition. 

I also feel that having PSA’s about mental illness would really help. If these announcements contained facts and statistics about mental illness and also encouraged people to receive the treatment that they needed, it would reduce the stigma surrounding mental illness.

3 comments:

  1. I do agree with you about people feeling ashamed when they may have a mental illness. I think that more information has come out about it over the years and that more people are probably seeking help for whatever issues they may be experiencing. I am glad there is the available help but on the other side I also feel that many people are being perscribed anitdepressants when they really do not need thme and then not liking the side affects and stopping taking then and then having no choice but to take them so they do not have withdrawls.
    Melissa V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that mental illness should not be an excuse to commit crime. In fact modern medical technology have good evaluation tool to identify from false mental illness claim from the legitimate one. In this fast and complex society any one can be a victim of mental illness. seeking help and adhere to doctor's regiment would help to ease the problem.

    seyoum abebe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely about people and not being ashamed with mental illnesses. It makes them stronger if they are more willing to open up about it and tell people what is going on. It should help with research and continue with diagnosing ways to help.

    ReplyDelete