The biggest challenge for me to regular exercise and a healthy diet is my busy schedule. I am currently taking 19 hours of school and a lot of it is writing intensive. I rarely have time to do anything besides study and when I do, I want to rest and relax. How do I rest and relax? By laying in bed watching T.V. (my big problem is Texas Rangers baseball) or by going on a date, which usually ends up being dinner. If I’m relaxing at home, I usually want to eat something quick so that I don’t have to make a big effort. Around my house, my parents buy “quick foods” such as chips, dips, frozen pizzas, cheese and crackers, and a few frozen dinners. Although my mom does cook healthy dinners most of the time, I like to snack. Since I am really tired at the end of the day I have a hard time getting up the motivation to go exercise.
Although I’m not a perfect eater or exerciser, I have been making progress compared to last spring. Last spring, I was pretty much eating out all of the time and NEVER exercising. I gained weight faster than I could blink. I went from 138 to 148 and then from 148 to 170 and I just thought “whoa, this has got to stop.” My boyfriend and I decided not to go out to eat so much and we started walking 3 miles a few times a week. I am eating much better now and have gone back down to 158. Even though the weight is not completely gone, I’m glad that I have made progress. After we got used to walking 3 miles, we decided to ride bikes every other day so that we wouldn’t get burnt out on exercise.
My goal over the next year is to get this last 20 pounds off and continue exercising and eating healthy. Over the next five years, I will still be in school and it will be a challenge to keep it up. But, I do have a few goals for myself. I used to run at least a mile every day, and I would really like to do that again. I also enjoy tennis and golf and would like to make more time in my schedule to practice. I have really started paying attention to the nutrition of certain foods such as fish and vegetables and I also got more serious about taking my vitamins every day. I hope that over the next five years, I will be able to keep this up and continue to improve my health.
Meghan McGeheePictures received from:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/diet%20cartoon/finickyfiftyfive/diettips.jpg?o=3
http://media.photobucket.com/image/exercise%20cartoon/NeoMorphUK/exercise-cartoon.jpg?o=1


Meghan,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on losing weight!! That's really great! I like the idea of walking with your boyfriend when you can every week. Me and my husband use to do that and ride our bikes too...until we got too busy. But reading your blog really makes me want to start up again even if it's only for a little bit a day. Your blog really motivated me. Keep it up! :)
Carla Keeley
Meghan,
ReplyDeleteFunny pics at the beginning of your post. You are a busy girl. I remeber when I was in dental assisting school and I took 19 hours... It sure can kick your but. I am in 12 this semester and with my two year old I do not really have a spare minute. I love to read when I have time and lately there has been zero reading unless it is a school book. Finding time to eat a nutritous meal and exercise can be a challenge. For me eating healthy can be difficult but I do better at it now that I have gotten back down to my ideal weight. I took a little over a year to lose my baby weight and once I started noticing the clothes getting bigger I got a little more motivated. As for exercise I still do not do a whole lot of strenuous exercise but I do go for regular walks and to the park with my little one. I also started cleaning houses on the side and oh my goodness...I didn't realize cleaning was such a work out. Good luch with your goals you have set and congrats on your weight loss. I know it can be tough but once you get to that goal it sure does feel good! :)
Melissa V
Meghan,
ReplyDeleteI think the biggest reason why people don't exercise in our society is not because they don't have enough time it's because they continue to make excuses. Last year I was in the same boat as you. I ate out a lot, drank alcohol, and didn't exercise. I gained about 10 lbs over the course of a year. When bikini season came around I wanted to lose weight to I began exercising, however, my diet didn't change and I think thats 80% of losing weight. I didn't see much of a change in my weight. Finally, this past summer I started working out very regularly and eating more fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats and drinking LOTS of water. I lost 10 lbs. It really is all about motivating yourself and not making excuses. It's also a life commitment, not just a yo-yo diet or a one month workout session.
-Sarah Petersen
Meghan-
ReplyDeleteI totally understand where you are coming from! Being proactive is the best thing you can do, and you're doing it! Adding a little at a time is helpful too. Also, not trying to lose it all right away will be more beneficial as well. Good luck on your healthy journey.
-Courtney
I relate to you because I too have become very busy with school work, seeing as I am a full time online student. So eating healthy is difficult for me, I tend to work out more than I actually eat so I am losing weight at an alarming weight. I have been making some changes to my diet. I am a vegetarian and this week’s reading has really helped me understand what I need to be eating to obtain the right amount of calories needed. Eating well is just as important as working out, they go hand and hand, and one cannot do without the other. So I know that if I do not eat properly all the working out will be in vain. It is awesome that you have lost the weight and I hope you continue on the healthy path and reach you goal weight.
ReplyDelete